THREE men are being treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in a flat at a sheltered housing complex in Hawick, writes Bob Burgess.
Fire crews were alerted shortly before 1pm today (Monday) to a flat alight at Douglas Haig Court in Linden Crescent.
The three men - aged 70, 80 and 87 - were treated by paramedics while firefighters wearing breathing apparatus checked adjoining properties to ensure all residents were safe.
Two fire crews from the town were supported by colleagues from Selkirk and Galashiels. The blaze is understood to have started in the flat’s kitchen.
Douglas Haig Court comprises 33 flats and bungalows and is administered by an Edinburgh-based housing association.