Youth Club show grit to sink seasiders

Have your say

Semi-Junior League

A GOOD team performance against tough opposition saw Youth Club’s young battlers move up to joint fourth place in the table last Saturday.

Berwick proved to be a hard nut to crack with a much bigger set of forwards, but the Souters worked hard throughout the game to prevent their visitors from getting the upper hand.

After 10 minutes Youth Club started to apply pressure and only desperate defending by the seasiders prevented a score – until a kick was charged down and flanker Andrew Toole charged through to touch down near the posts. Darren Knox converted.

Berwick fought back, only to find themselves against a determined set of home forwards, with the back row of Toole, Phillip Anderson and Scott McClymont working overtime, ably supported by a second row of Jordan Lunt and Connal Grieve.

The front row of Scott McKinnon, Finlay Amos and Callum Turnbull were finding it tough against a much heavier front row, but managed to hold their own. Turnbull, in particular, made good yardage with the ball.

With 20 minutes played, the backs opened up the Northumbrian rearguard with some good passing for winger Hamish Robinson to touch down in the corner.

But Berwick worked their way back into the home half and, after winning a lineout, drove the hosts back over their own try line to score.

Just before half-time centre Lewis Martin burst through the Berwick defence, supported by Jack Elliot, who passed for Toole to sprint through for a try. Knox added the extras to stretch the Youth Club lead to 19-5 at the break.

Selkirk made a brisk restart and a cross-field kick from Knox was gathered by Alan Rutter and, after some good recycling work by the forwards, the ball ended up being touched down by Anderson.

A forward battle ensued and midway through the half Berwick managed to score between the posts for an easy conversion.

Play remained fairly even until Lunt slipped through a couple of tackles before passing to Callum McEwan who jinked his way past a number of Berwick players to dive over. Shortly after, Lunt and McEwan set up McClymont to plough over. Knox converted both tries.

Berwick fought back and after a number of phases managed to wrestle the ball over the line and touch down. The conversion attempt was successful.

Fresh legs kept the game entertaining to the end, with Hamish Robinson bagging the final try. Knox booted over the conversion to complete the scoring.

Youth Club are away to Melrose Wasps (2pm k.o.) tomorrow.

Back to the top of the page